One of the oldest country clubs in New York State, Geneva Country Club was founded March 11, 1890. The club’s purpose, records show, was for “golf, croquet, tennis and other outdoor games and amusements.” The first president was Thomas H. Chew, whose family lived in the South Main Street Home that is now the Prouty-Chew Museum. The club was built on leased land, which was later purchased by the club corporation. In the early days, the fairways and roughs were mowed by horses and used for hay because the land was rented from an adjacent farm.

The golf course is one of the few remaining nine-hole layouts in this part of the state. The order of holes has been changed over the years. The building of the first clubhouse atop the banks of Seneca Lake started in April 1899. A new clubhouse was built on the current location in 1914. The original clubhouse was just south of the current facility. The clubhouse again was renovated and enlarged in the 1950s to make it a year round operation, but the most extensive work done in the 1960s when the Gold Room was added on the lake side. The club’s membership grew as golf became more popular and social activities were increased during the 1950s and 1960s as the club scheduled activities year round. The most recent renovation in 1999 moved Geneva Country Club into the 21st Century.

Shad Cook President shad@halcoenergy.com
Richard LaVoie Treasurer rplcfp@gmail.com
Gary Johnson Secretary nlajohns@rochester.rr.com
Jeff Pierce House jeff-pierce@rochester.rr.com
Bill Rotenberg House wrotenberg@verizon.net